Regional residents are welcome to use the transfer stations, you do not have to live in Rapid City.
The City of Rapid City offers recycling and yard waste collection at three remote site locations:
• Fitzgerald Stadium on Sheridan Lake Rd
• Rapid City Landfill on Hwy 79 (only location with newspaper recycling)
• Corner of Anamosa Street and Nickel Street
The yard waste containers are put out seasonally from
May - November. For exact dates, please click here.
Otherwise the recycling, cardboard, and newspaper containers are out year round. These containers are emptied every single day, so if the container is gone it's probably being emptied and should be back shortly.
Grass clippings, tree branches (under six feet long and small than four inches in diameter), and any organic material may be brought to the yard waste containers.
Please respect the guidelines for the yard waste containers.
• No plastic bags - biodegradable ones only
• No excessively long branches, logs, or root balls.
These must come straight out to the landfill.
• No garbage. No pallets, lumber, furniture, tires, etc.
Yard waste only.
• No commercial businesses, residential use only.
• NO SCAVENGING. No one is allowed inside of the containers.
No littering or dumping.
In the recycling containers, you can put mixed recyclables inside. This includes glass, steel, aluminum, and all plastics.
In the cardboard containers, you can only put corrugated cardboard inside. Please flatten all cardboard before placing it in the bins. Any shiny cardboard is unfortunately not recyclable in this area. This includes cereal boxes, TV boxes, diaper boxes, anything with the shiny pictures on it. Pizza boxes are also not recyclable because of the grease.
In the newspaper containers, any newsprint including insert flyers are allowed. No office paper.